My friend and I originally discovered the recipe in the Buzzfeed post, “30 Delicious Vegan Meals You Can Make Under 30 Minutes”. We tried it and in my friend Vita’s words, the taste “is to dieee for!” (Thank you Buzzfeed!) I have made some modifications to the original version, namely adding in some veggies for extra flavor and a more colorful presentation. In addition to being vegan, this dish is gluten-free. Try it out for the next Meatless Monday!
- 14-16 oz. firm or extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoon canola/olive oil (I use these two oils the most often as they are arguably healthier among different types of cooking oils)
- 3 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 large ginger root, sliced
- 1 half red bell pepper
- 1 half green bell pepper
- 2-3 tablespoon chopped green onions (for garnish)
- 4 tablespoon soy sauce (reduced sodium is fine)
- 2 tablespoon smooth natural peanut butter (the ones with low sugar are best)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable stock or water
- 2 tablespoon Siracha Sauce (more or less to taste)
*The original version called for vinegar, but I found that I didn’t like the sour taste so much for this dish, so I left it out.
- Drain the tofu and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Cut the tofu into strips. You want the strips to be relatively thick so the tofu doesn’t crumble when you try to flip it.
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Slice the garlic, ginger and green onions.
- Slice the red and green bell peppers into strips.
- Heat the wok/pan over high heat until it’s hot.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil and heat about 30 seconds more.
- Add the chopped bell pepper and stir. When the pieces have softened, remove and set them aside.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil in the wok
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook until they are fragrant (about 30 seconds); then remove and discard.
- Add tofu pieces, lower heat to medium high and cook until the tofu is nicely browned on both sides (about 7-8 minutes).
- When the tofu pieces are browned, add the sauce, turn heat to low. Cook for a minute, or just until the sauce thickens slightly and coats the tofu.
- Add your bell pepper back into the wok and let it be coated in the sauce along with the tofu.
- Turn off the heat and remove the wok from the stove.
- Plate the dish, pour sauce over and garnish with green onion slices.
Having this fresh out of the wok with some rice = heaven…
*Credits to Kalyn’s Kitchen for the wonderful recipe.